1% Sharing is the flagship campaign of the Foundation. The goal of this campaign is to make people realize that sharing does not necessarily require a large sum of money. 1% represents the smallest amount that we can share.
Sharing 1% is a beautiful habitYou don't need a big start. You can share the smallest things in your life.
Sharing 1% will not burden you1% symbolizes the smallest amount that you can share without feeling any strain. It does not represent 1% of your income, but of your heart.
Sharing 1% of your salary, income, revenue, budget, allowance, or pension can be beautiful.You can also give special gifts on birthdays, anniversaries, or as a gesture of simple thanks.
You can share your special talents and abilities, such as repair skills, the creation of art, cooking skills, or computer expertise. For example, entertainers help the Beautiful Foundation by sharing their dancing, singing, and other gifts, as well as through donations from their performances.
You can share your own 1%. Share what you have, what you want, what you can. There is nothing in this world that we cannot share.
A Beautiful World : It all starts with a little sharing!
A Donor-advised Fund is a form of tailored fund that is like 'a foundation in a foundation,' built in the name of the donor, his or her family, or a corporation and distributed in accordance with donor wishes and Foundation consultation.
Benefits to building a Donor-advised Fund
You can save material and time by building a donor-advised fund in the Beautiful Foundation, as the Foundation will do much of the work for you. You can donate to your named fund throughout your life.
You can make a donor-advised fund with your family and donate together with your son, daughter, and grandchildren. It can be a beautiful family custom. It is also a good example of an inheritance to society for a family to have a donor-advised fund in which to donate in celebration of grandchild's birthday or in the memory of a deceased father.
You can present a donor-advised fund as a gift in your friend or customer's name.
Your fund and your story will be shared through diverse PR channels of the Foundation if you so desire.
The money doesn't disappear but remains as an endowment that will continue to support the causes that you choose for years to come.
Even if you haven't decided how your donation will be spent, you can take a tax deduction immediately.
Far too often, donation happens through fragmentary information and sympathy. However, if you build a donor-advised fund in the Beautiful Foundation, you can support the necessary infrastructure for social welfare and public benefit in the local community with the specialized help and advice of the Grantmaking Committee.
How to make your own Donor-advised fund
The process is quite simple. In an individual's case, a donor-advised fund can be made with 10,000 U.S. dollars or more. In a corporation's case, a consultation is needed.
- 1) Donation Consultation
- 2) Choice of Donation Amount, Title, etc.
- 3) Written Agreement
- 4) Donate and Receive a Receipt for Tax Deduction
- 5) Resister as a Donor, Honorable Reception
- 6) Introduction of Stories in the Foundation PR Material (including homepage)
- 7) Additional Management (such as additional donations)
- 8) Report of Distribution
Benefits to building a Donor-advised FundTraditionally, in Korea ones will has been considered as one's dying wish or last words before death. Accordingly, people have been hesitant to make a legally binding will or testament before their death. Because of this, in many cases there is no will. Often there are disputes among descendants about succession and division of the estate. Sometimes, the inheritance is used for purposes opposed to what the deceased wanted. Inheritances can be a big help to society as a whole, depending on how the successor uses it. The Beautiful Foundation helps people to leave make their last wishes known more clearly; more than just saying, "use this for the poor." The Foundation can also aid in executing the inheritance in a clear way.
- 1. The Beautiful Foundation provides the way for donors who want to share their estate or inheritance with society.
- 2. The Beautiful Foundation hopes bring a substantial change to this aspect of Korean culture through the Inheritance 1% Sharing and Making Will Campaigns.
QualificationsAnyone who is older than 18, mentally healthy, and shows common sense in regards to his or her property situation and family relationships.
Objects of donation
- 1. Material property (including money, securities, real estate, and any possessions).
- 2. Physical property, such as organs.
- 3. Mental and spiritual property, such as values, talents, work, or attitude.
1. Inheritance 1% sharing
- 1) Decision to share
- 2) Download the Inheritance 1% Sharing Application or request the application form be mailed
- 3) Fill out the form
- 4) Send the form by e-mail or mail
- 5) Register as an Inheritance 1% Sharing Member
- 6) Beautiful Foundation member activities
- 7) The Foundation succeeds him or her after death
- 8) The Foundation administers the inheritance clearly and fairly as a part of a fund.
Donors & FundsThe BF's goal is to share efficiently and effectively. If you want to participate in solving the fundamental problem in our society, if you want your donation to be given to those who really need it, if you want to be the subject of the constant donation, if you want to be updated on how your money was spent, and if you want to experience donation along with your family and friends, we recommend you to make a donor-advised fund in your name with the BF.
It would be great to have your name put up along with the other donators who made donations of, instead of celebrating their 70th birthday, a bundle of money that they had their hands on for the first time in their life, a national annuity, their property, or in their demise child's name.
The donor-advised fund will remain along with one's name and become an everlasting oasis of the society, which will participate in making the future generation a rich one.
Grandmother Kim Gun-Ja fund
- Grandmother Kim Gun-Ja, who was a sex slave under Japanese rule, donated all of her assets to the Beautiful Foundation, saving only enough for funeral costs. With her donation, the "Grandmother Kim Gun-Ja Fund" was established to support college tuition for orphans. This was the first fund established in the Beautiful Foundation.
Hara Welfare Foundation fund (Hara Fund)
- Ms. Seo Mi-Suk, who established Hara Welfare Foundation to support under privileged children and handicapped people, closed her private foundation and donated its assets to the Beautiful Foundation, establishing the "Hara Fund." She made this choice in order to support more people without the regular operational costs of a foundation.
Jung Hee-Kyung your sunshine fund
- Ms. Jung Hee-Kyung, a business owner and leader of a cultural foundation, decided to made a donation instead of holding her 70th birthday party. Thus, the "Your Sunshine Fund" was established. This fund supports medical check ups and costs for low-income single mothers.
You Moo-Chong library for philanthropy fund
- Respected businessman You Moo-Chong established a fund to build a philanthropic library and support staff education for the systemic creation of a philanthropic culture in Korea. The You Moo-Chong Library for Philanthropy is the first library specializing in nonprofit fundraising and operations in Korea. The underlying philosophy of the library comes from Mr. Yoo: "To support welfare directly is important. However, if the staff become more skilled and educated, one can become ten, and ten can become one hundred."
Baseball player Song Jin-Woo fund
- Song Jin-Woo was a baseball player who set up a new record in Korean baseball history with a total of 210 wins, who promised to promote a fund for the disabled children. Since his record, he donated 500,000 won each time he made a win. Later on, Hanwha Eagles(Baseball Team) also donated 500,000 won each time they won which now sums up to 10,000,000 won in total.
Song Jin-Woo promised to continue donating each time he won and with the fund so far, he hopes to support a welfare work for the disabled children. Song Jin-Woo, who had shown constant concern for the disabled children, explained that "it would have been difficult to set up a new record without the help of the comrades or the fans." He continued to explain that he made donations to "thank those who have been of great help, and to make the new record a meaning one.
Monk Oh-Kyung's lotus flower
- Monk Oh-Kyung donated the money he saved while he was the Chief Monk in the Bub-Ryun Temple to the BF in request of using the money to research and develop the succeeding property culture. In the name of Lotus Flower Fund, it will be used for the research and promotion of donation culture of succeeding property.
"Life is void where one can end life empty handed. Succeeding properties can bring misfortune to the child, bad enough to turn siblings into enemies. Possession of one's isn't their own, it is only right that they return to the society. After I left home I had much troubles about the society. The biggest one was about the succeeding property. At a funeral, those who weren't wealthy would moan over the dead while those who were wealthy looked bloodthirsty. As I look at America's succeeding property culture compared with Korea's, I noticed that it is what makes America a developed country. I only hope that one's property will be of good use to others."
Compared with the developed countries' succession culture, Koreans find a way to evade tax and leave more property to the future generations. Lotus Flower Fund will try and promote a clean succession culture, which will spread along with the Inheritance 1% Sharing Campaign.
Tae Pyung Yang CEO Seo Seong-Hwan Beautiful world fund
- The founder of Amore-Pacific (a Korean cosmetics company), lamented Seo Seong-Hwan, donated his 74,000 stock shares along with all the dividend the company made in 2003 which sums up to nearly 5 billion won. Seo Seong-Hwan, since the foundation in 1945, has improved the quality of life of many people. He was a CEO who improved the social status of women by educating them, as well as supporting those who had low income by donating a partial of the company's profit.
Seo Seong-Hwan's donation plays a big role in the Korean society since most of the high class leaders are stingy when it comes to donating.
His donations supported low-income single mothers to start their own business in the name of "Hope Store." There are 200 Hope Stores so far, and with their donations and 1% interest rates more and more Hope Stores are soon to open.
Fund investor Lee Chae-Won's share fund
- A 10 year donation has been promised by the royalty of "Lee Chae-Won's Value Investment," a book about fund investor Lee Chae-Won's 20 years worth experience. This fund is to be used for the future generation.
"It is easier said to be done. I planned to donate all of the royalty even before I wrote the book but thanks to the publisher ECON, it is my honor to donate to BF. I think that I can keep sharing since BF's system allows multiple people to constantly donating." Said Lee Chae-Won.
Also, to the question why he promised to donate for 10 years constantly he answered, "By making good use of my ability, it would be great to constantly increase the amount of donation for 10 years and support those who are in need."
One must think how this long-term fund can be of use at the year 2018.
Park Young-Mi fund
- Lamented Park Young-Mi, who died while giving birth to her second baby at the age of 38, donated all her insurance money to the BF.
After much discussion with her family, the Park Young-Mi Fund was made.
The Park Young-Mi Fund will be used to eliminate poverty in memory of Park Young-Mi, who worked for a social welfare organization.
MackMuGaNe-DaeJangBu fund (Bold and spirited teenagers Fund)
- A team of 6th graders from an alternative school in Kyung-Ki province was set up. These children said that they were inspired by Son Sung-Il, who raised a fund by pilgrimaging the country(2,200km). They walked to school and practiced hiking in order to climb the Mt. Jiri which is challenging even for an adult. Even so, we ask them if it wasn't hard.
"If we didn't have a goal in our minds, we would have given up in the middle. But by the thought that our climbing the mountain can be of help to others we couldn't possibly give up!"
They are the first children civilian fundraisers of BF. Civilian fundraisers refer to people who raise funds using their unique methods. With the goal of Mt. Jiri in mind, they raised 100 won per 1km.
The total amount of MackMuGaNe-DaeJangBu Fund reached 39,534,917 won (…USD) in 2013 by the total participation of 157 “bold and spirited” donors since 2007.
Kyobo Dasomies' Life-saving fund
- Kyobo and BF made a contract to support premature babies. The 5-year plan supports the low income class with a baby either less than 37 weeks old or less than 2.5kg. Each month 10 families are supported with 50% of the hospital fee and at 5million maximum.
Also, by creating a website, it is planned to give information about the birth and raising up of premature babies, hospitals, related support programs as well as provide community service.
There are campaigns to promote government policies to support the premature babies as well as concerts, fund raising, birthday parties for them. There also will be public hearings on how to revise the current law and examples of support cases.
The Kyobo Dasomies' Life-saving Fund cooperative project between Kyobo and BF provides treatment fee to the families of premature babies and allows them to grow into a healthy adult, which hopefully will change the social perception toward them.
Public interest lawyers fund
- Behind the democratization of Korea stands talented lawyers who gave up their welfare to side with the powerless. The Foundation’s Public Interest Lawyers Fund exists to support such lawyers.
The fund supports such lawyers' activities and allows more nonprofit public interest lawyers to play a role in the society.
Lawyers are normally criticized for using their specialty against the weak and the poor. However, lawyers such as Cho Young-Rae and many more human rights lawyers have fought against them and shown justice. The human rights lawyers who have fought against dictatorship have expanded. As more and more civilian organizations strive public good, these lawyers' help is compulsory, and to meet the demand the increase in the number of nonprofit public interest lawyers is required.
GongGam is made up of such lawyers who offer free legal service to various NGOs for the protection of human rights of minorities and marginalized groups.
Created in 2003, the Fund for Nonprofit Public Interest Lawyers was used to help the legal activities of lawyers at GongGam for 9 years, and was transferred to the Human Rights Law Foundation, GongGam (http://kpil.org) which was spun off from BF and newly founded on December 2012.
Corporate Social Responsibility
The Foundation operates corporate social responsibility programs for private companies in order to pave the way to the creation and implementation of desirable corporate citizenship models.
Purpose of the corporate social responsibility program
For sharing between corporations and societyThe Beautiful Foundation operates public benefit campaigns for the mutual benefit of corporations and society. Social responsibilitys aid in social development and improve the images of corporations.
For realizing corporations' value and the optimization of public benefitThe Beautiful Foundation creates positive and practical models of corporate social responsibility through public benefit support that is not simply a charitable favor, but instead a refining of corporate values and subsequent sharing with citizens.
For creating model public support programsThis campaign strives to implement public service as a feature of corporations, satisfying society's requests for public benefits and informing the public of these services.
For transparent and specialized social responsibilitys that build healthy partnershipsThe Beautiful Foundation is propagating social responsibility values that are successful, transparent, and specialized through partnerships between healthy corporations and a healthy public foundation.
For spreading the culture of sharingThe Beautiful Foundation is laying the groundwork for a new donation culture that will be built through the voluntary participation of both corporations and members, suggesting a new model of Corporate Citizenship in which sharing is practiced for the betterment of neighborhood and society.
The Process and the Programs of Beautiful Workplace Campaign can be changed to fit different situations or circumstances.
Areas of supportThe Beautiful Foundation's is working to build a healthy civil society through social integration and community solidarity, vis-a-vis grantmaking.
Grantmaking criteriaThrough its transparency program, the Beautiful Foundation intends for recipients to evaluate themselves and as part of a post-grantmaking evaluation.
Grantmaking principlesThe Beautiful Foundation distributes each fund according to its respective criteria, purposes, and intents.
The distribution service of the Beautiful Foundation considers donor intention as a top priority. Importance is also attached to the opinions of experts from each respective field of society. The distribution process includes public announcement, recommendations, and screening by the Grantmaking Committee.
The Beautiful Foundation distributes according to the principles of equitability, diversity, efficiency, real-world reflectivity, innovation, and research.
Excepted areas of support
- A case already supported by another organization for the same reason.
- A business that could be used for an interest group's purpose.
- An event or an organization aiming at fundraising, publicity, or advertising.
- The Beautiful Foundation does not support the same recipient more than three continuous times for different reasons.
Cancellation of grants
- The Beautiful Foundation can cancel a grant and require repayment of supporting funds in the below stated cases :
- Use of the subsidy for any purpose other than the original purpose.
- Ceasing to support the goals of the business or inability to achieve the goals.
- A case already supported by another organization for same reason.
- Disclosure of irresponsible operation or illegality.
- 1. The Beautiful Foundation provides for improvements in the quality of life and advancement for the underprivileged.
- 2. The Beautiful Foundation aids public benefit activities in order to realize a just society through battling poverty, disadvantage, discrimination, and inequality.
- 3. The Beautiful Foundation supports grassroots public interest organizations and the welfare of the devoted workers in those organizations.
RecipientsThe Beautiful Foundation supports both individuals and organizations.
1. Preparation of official distribution announcement
- Composition of a distribution plan: Internal discussion among team leaders of the purpose, aim, contents, budget, and schedule of distribution.
- Submission of the plan of distribution to donor.
- Choose examiners after schedule consultation with the Grantmaking Committee.
2. Official announcement and acceptance of application
- Adjustment and confirmation of the judgment criteria by the Foundation.
3. Document judgment
- Make a list of application form results.
4. Announce application results
- Approval of applications.
- Decision of on-the-spot survey and interview schedules, in collaboration with the interviewers and (potential) recipients.
- Transportation fees will be provided for the interview.
5. On-The-Spot survey/interview
- On-the-spot survey report and interview card will be submitted.
6. Announcement of recipient
- Approval of recipient report.
- Publicity preparation.
- In the case of individual support, bankbook and receipt copies are required.
8. Ending of distribution and post-management
- Collection of confirmation documents.
- General Evaluation of Distribution report. (Foundation)
- Submission of management evaluation report within 3 months
Areas & Spotlight funds
Selected funds of the Beautiful FoundationHere are some highlights of the two hundred-plus funds that are operated by the Beautiful Foundation.
- supports grassroots organizations and the public benefit activities NGOs in order to bring desirable changes to society.
General public benefit
Public interest lawyers fund
- supports the work of Gong Gam Fund transfer to Human Rights Law Foundation, GongGam (http://www.kpil.org)
Public benefit publishing fund
- supports the publishing of records and research materials by public benefit organizations.
International NGO solidarity fund
- supports solidarity efforts among international NGOs, specifically in the operation of the Korean NGO's Asian Center, located in the Philippines.
Working for the future fund
- supports solidarity efforts among international NGOs, specifically in the operation of the Korean NGO's Asian Center, located in the Philippines.
Healthy forest fund
- Just as the forest must be inclusive and nurturing of all its elements in order to be a healthy ecosystem, so must society. The Healthy Forest Fund supports the education and rights of migrant workers, a marginalized and underserved part of our society.
Workplace heroes and heroines fund
- Transparency, fairness, and accountability are of the utmost importance in business and government. This fund aids in locating and supporting whistle blowers in order to work towards this goal.
Living together fund
- supports small libraries in rural and underserved areas.
Grandmother Kim Gun-Ja fund
- supports college tuition for orphans. This was the first fund of the Beautiful Foundation.
Children and young people
Finding hope on the road fund
- provides for trips for under privileged children and young people.
- specialized talent and extra-curricular education for under privileged children.
- supports handicapped people's independence and helps to provide opportunities to attend cultural activities.
Your sunshine fun
- provides support for medical check ups for low-income single mothers.
- helps to cover living expenses for low-income seniors living alone.
Joyful respite fund
- supports cultural experiences for those from culturally underprivileged areas.
- research, publishing, and education on the creation of a healthy inheritance culture.
Center on philanthropy fund
- Carries out professional and practical research for the improvement of Korean giving culture.
Dasomi (다솜이) is an old Korean word for “love.” With monthly donations from Kyobo Life Insurance consultants and matching funds from Kyobo Life, as well as donations from Beautiful Foundation’s 1% Sharing Campaign donors, the Dasomi Project distributes love by providing financial support to the low-income families of premature babies and sponsoring promotional campaigns to remove the social stigma attached to premature babies.
Every year, one out of ten Korean babies is born premature, premature being defined as weighing less than 2.5 kg at birth or being born prior to 37 weeks. Despite the prevalence of premature babies, the label ‘premature’ carries a slight social stigma, and the conventional Korean word for a pre-mature baby, ‘misuka’ (미숙아) infers handicap or disability. In order to change the negative connotation associated with ‘misuka,’ the Dasomi Project created the term ‘ireundungi’ (이른둥이) to refer to premature babies. Ireundungi means ‘a baby who entered the world earlier than others;’ it indicates a fast starter.
From their birth, premature babies face a high mortality rate, in addition to a number of medical complications. If they survive, underdeveloped organs and risk of permanent disabilities such as cerebral palsy, cognitive impairment, vision and hearing issues are only some of the problems premature babies face. Considering all the complications, premature babies require intensive medical attention from birth through the early stages of their life. Such medical attention is a substantial financial burden for any family, and even more so for low-income families.
To alleviate the burden and help premature babies towards a healthy future, the Dasomi Project provides financial assistance for neonatal care at birth, hospital readmissions through 24 months, and necessary rehabilitation procedures up to the age of six. Since its conception in 2004, over 5600 Kyobo Life Consultants and 850 Beautiful Foundation 1% Campaign patrons have donated to the Dasomi Project to help over 1700 premature babies.
A Letter from a mother
Hyeonseong was born at 36 weeks and 2.53kg on October 17, 2006. He was frail and vulnerable. Due to a delay in the delivery process, he was born with severe brain damage and he could barely breathe. He was immediately transported to Busan Seongmo Hospital's NICU in a state of near-unconscious. Breathing and eating were difficult for Hyunsung, and he was suffering jaundice. After so much trouble and pain, he came home 45 days after his birth.
Because of the brain damage, my son Hyunsung began physical rehabilitation therapy at Pusan Sungmo Hospital. A year and a half ago, I was waiting for my son to finish his treatment at the hospital. One of the sisters at the hospital came to talk to me, and she, Sister Sohn, told me that I could get some help. Through her, I became aware of the Dasomi Program.
Hyunsung was born with many difficulties. His immune system and other functions were weak and his health could deteriorate at any time with just a small change in the environment. Hyunsung often caught pneumonia, and each time he went to the hospital, he stayed for at least two weeks. The hospital fees were expensive and I was always worried about paying the bills. Sister Sohn told me that she would see if Hyunsung could get some assistance for his treatments and hospital fees. She helped us apply for assistance from the Dasomi Program, and I am very grateful to her. I don't feel comfortable because I know that there are many people who are in very hard situations and maybe they deserve the help more than we do. But I believe that one day I'll be able to help others, even if only in a small way. In the hope that I can return this kindness someday, I thankfully received the funds.
Thirty months have passed by since Hyunsung was born. There were many difficult and heartbreaking moments but there are also many moments of joy in my memories of Hyunsung. Whenever things got difficult, many people around me have helped me overcome the hardships and have given me the courage to carry on. Meanwhile, I have learned a lot about the Dasomi Program and the Beautiful Foundation, and I've become interested in social work and nonprofit organizations in general.
People say that parents learn about the world through their children. I, too, have learned so much about the world through Hyunsung. I have learned about love, patience, and perseverance. I have also learned what I value the most in life.
Hyunsung does not show many facial expressions, but I'm sure I can feel his love for us every time I look into his eyes.
Writing this makes me feel hundreds of different emotions. One clear thing is that Hyunsung is very precious and important to my life. Today and in the future, I will work hard to become a good and caring mother. I am deeply grateful to those who have helped my family -Sister Sohn and the Dasomi Program. Until the day Hyunsung can respond to us with a big smile, our family will do our best.
Empowering single mothers through microcredit
Through Hope Stores, the Beautiful Foundation assists low-income single mothers by providing them with loans to start their own businesses. Hope Stores are supported by the Foundation through the Beautiful World Fund and the CSR efforts of other corporations. These companies provide the funds, as well as necessary skills and administration consultation for the new businesswomen. Single mothers in financial difficulty can apply for a 40 million won (roughly 40,000 dollars) loan and the accompanying enterprise support programs.
The initial fund of the Hope Stores program was donated in the memory of Seo Seong-Hwan, the founder of Amore-Pacific, a cosmetics company. Mr. Seo’s family created the ‘Beautiful Fund,’ a bequest of 5 billion won (roughly 5 million dollars) in stock shares to be used to help single mothers.
From beginnings primarily in food-service, the Hope Stores have diversified to include taxi car enterprises, recycling services, and even a car contour restoration business. Up to date, over two hundred business start-ups have been funded by the Hope Store program. The early start-ups have started to stabilize, providing economic security for the single mothers and their families.
The Beautiful Foundation has helped about 200 single mothers to start up their own business from 2004 through nowadays.
MicrocreditThis type of microcredit program is meaningful because it does not provide short-term, sympathetic economic help, but instead builds a foundation for economic independence and allows families to escape poverty. Furthermore, the repayment a portion of their profits to help other single mothers gain economic independence.
Training and consulting support systemMothers who are preparing to start an enterprise go through tax affairs, and entrepreneurship. Also, an enterprise advisory group gives support by going through the enterprise blueprint and consulting about the potential problems that may arise. These steps empower women to become confident businesswomen, as well as aid in the sustainability of the Hope Store’s financial support.
+ Orientation & workshop
Basic knowledge of enterprise - An overall education about enterprise. Basic education on enterprise, operating business education
+ Gathering for self-support & family camp
A gathering of each entrepreneurs one times each year - Sharing of information, reports between matriarchs. It help To strengthen bonds between entrepreneurs.
Hope Store Family Camp - To strengthen bonds between entrepreneurs
+ Post-care services
Monthly visit and consulting - Concentrated care until the sixth month after opening, Consulting from an enterprise professional
+ Technical EducationTechnical education in connection with a professional institute wherever needed.